Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Challenge This Week

Most of the week was pretty easy.  I planned some decent meals for Carol and I, vegetarian chili in sourdough bread bowls, vegetarian cheese coneys - made with the leftover chili and Lightlife meatless hot dogs.  Nothing fancy, but simple and satisfying.

Then came Friday...  Friday there was a lunch at my customer's site to kick off their workstation refresh project.  The catering of choice:  Montgomery Inn.

 
For those of you outside of Cincinnati, Montgomery Inn is the premier rib restaurant in the city. It's not barbecue for you purists, but they do make some darn tasty ribs, and the sauce is outstanding.  It's one of the restaurants where the "in crowd"  likes to hang out, especially the Boathouse location on the river.  Pictures of celebs, sports stars, and politicians decorate the walls, like this guy:
 
But... enough about the ribs.  What did I do?
When the invite was sent out, I sent a message to Dave, the program manger, and told him I didn't eat red meat or poultry, and asked if I could get the Greek Salad instead.  Of course I would still eat the Saratoga chips and other sides, but no meat for me.

When we got there, Dave handed me a pretty good sized bag.  I figured it was the salad and some bread, but when I opened the bag, this is what it contained.
 
That,my friends, is what I like to call a "Big Honkin' Salad".  This was easily a pound of lettuces, carrots, feta, eggs, olives, tomatoes, and pepperoncini.  It was huge.  I was impressed.  I didn't think I would be able to eat the whole thing.  And I was right.  Between the Saratoga chips and the mac and cheese, I was able to eat about 1/2 of it,  Even the people around me that were chomping on pulled pork sammiches were impressed by the size of it.

So, challenge met and passed.  And on a side note, since I've stopped eating meat, I've lost 6 pounds.  Maybe there's something to this vegetarian diet...


No comments: