Friday, January 15, 2010

And this week brings...

Success!  Still no red meat or poultry, despite serious bacon cravings.  A group of us from work went to the Gameday Sports Cafe before the Cyclones game Wednesday night, and while they have pretty much standard bar food, there was a Three-cheese grilled cheese on the menu, with the option of adding tomato and/or bacon.

Bacon...

Tasty, smoky, meat candy...

Oh how I wanted it.  I wanted it to the point of drooling at the thought of it.  I looked around and thought, "No one here knows I've given up bacon.  No one will say anything to me if I order bacon and tomato on my grilled cheese."

But no...  I held firm.  No bacon, just tomato.  But that did give me an idea... Bacon Salt!  I have three different flavors already, I can use them the next time  I make grilled cheese at home. Bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon!!

On the recipe front, I tried something I saw on the interwebbernet, Chickpea and Tomato Curry.  Since Carol is not a big fan of curry, I cut back by about 2/3 the amount of curry powder it calls for, and it came out decent, but I think more curry would have helped it.  Chickpeas are pretty versatile, as my friend Leigh can attest, and they add a nice change of pace from regular beans.  Leigh takes some pretty awesome photos as well - check her out.

If you want to give it a shot, here's the recipe.  It's very easy to make, and  I served mine with quinoa instead of brown rice for a switch.

Chickpea and Tomato Curry
  • 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped gingerroot
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 2 cans (15 oz each) chick peas, drained, rinsed
  • 2 cans (14.5 oz each) Muir Glen organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
  • Hot cooked rice
  • Plain Greek yogurt

1 - In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, gingerroot and curry powder in oil about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is tender.
2 - Stir in chick peas and tomatoes. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro, lemon juice and salt.
3 - Serve over rice; top each serving with yogurt.

Peace!

No comments: